Having 2 computers in the same room can get a bit noisy if one’s playing a game and the other is watching TV, listening to music or watching a video or podcast. Add to that the daughter living in Sweden who sometimes talks to her dad via the internet and it gets rather loud. We’re so glad there are headsets and we’re always looking for the best. Now the best doesn’t have to be most expensive but we do want them to work.
When I was offered Plantronic’s Audio 476 DSP – Digital USB Foldable Stereo Headset I immediately said yes. The 476 DSP is Plantronics newest PC headset featuring high-performance DSP technology for multimdia and voice applications such as Podcasting, Gaming, VoIP and a whole lot more.
If you’re like me who had no idea what DSP was until now it stands for Digital Signal Processing which provides enhanced sound quality.
The features of this headset are:
- Intuitive folding design for on-the-go convenience
- DSP provides wideband acoustic echo cancellation for clear calls
- Digital equalizer optimizes 24-bit hi-fi stereo sound for enhanced listening
- Noise-canceling microphone for clear conversations
- Soft foam ear pads and lightweight materials for a comfortable fit
- USB connection provides true plug-and-play ease
- Easy-to-use inline controls for volume and mic mute
Now that you have the specifications and technical jargon out of the way I’ll tell you what I think about them.
- They’re comfortable. Not too tight where I get a headache but also not loose enough to fall off if I move my head.
- They collapse easily and open up just as easy without the cord getting caught around the ear pieces. I have other foldable headsets where the cord gets caught in the joints and hinges or around the earpiece or microphone and I can’t get them open without fighting with them and untangling wires first.
- The sound quality is GREAT. The volume control does take some getting use to. There’s 3 buttons in a row and I keep getting mixed up on which turns the mic on/off and which decreases the volume. I’m use the a slide or wheel.
- The microphone folds up out of the way and stays where you put it. No more fumbling with the wires getting caught between the headset and the microphone.
- USB connection. I like that a LOT. Just one plug and I can use them on a USB hub if I want. No more matching the colors up to make sure I’ve got the mic jack in the mic plug and, well you know the rest.
- When folded they’re about the size of an eyeglass case
The Plantronic Audio 476 DSP Headset has a list price of $54.95 but can be found at Amazon for around $35.
A product was received for review. I was not paid in any form of cash for this posting. The opinions expressed are my own and were NOT influenced in any way.