While we all know it’s a law that children must be in car seats and boosters while riding in a car and most know that the sizes of the seat for different ages and weights of the child but not all know what to do when that baby is too small for the infant car seat. With modern medicine babies that are born premature are surviving and a lot are going home earlier. That’s right, no longer does a baby have to hit that magic 5 lb mark before going home.
A lot of premature infants can’t sit up for too long without some physiological problems happening such as lowered heart rate or decreased oxygenation level. With that happening a regular car seat just won’t work so the baby can’t be discharged as early as the parents would like. I remember when I worked in the NICU the nurses would do a “car seat test”. What they’d do is have the parents bring the car seat to the hospital and they’d sit the baby in it and hook them up to the heart monitor and SaO2 (oxygen level) machines for a set period of time to see how the baby handled it. If the baby passed they got to go home, if they failed then, you guess it, they had to stay.
A lot of the problems have to do with anatomy, the softness of the airway and the inability of an infant to hold their head/neck up. When the baby’s laying flat everything is in perfect alignment and oxygen can get in and out easily but with the baby sitting up the airway can be squished or collapse as the head falls forward or backwards. The perfect solution would be to have the baby lay down while in the car. Impossible? Not really. Angel Guard has the perfect car seat for transporting low birth weight babies and small infants as well as infants with special needs.
The Angel Ride car seat is:
- Specifically designed for transporting infants, particularly those weighing less than 5 lbs. and with special medical needs.
- For use with infants up to 9 lbs. and 21.5 in.
- Increased height limit to 21.5 in. is applicable to all Angel Ride infant car beds in use.
- All products in use must be within the useful life as defined on the product.
- Unique design allows infant to be positioned on back, stomach or side.
- Five-degree surface raises infant’s head to facilitate breathing.
- Patented, wrap-around harness creates added protection during a sudden stop or crash.
- Fabric harness cushions buckle while allowing quick release.
- Improved vehicle installation system ensures a more secure fit.
- Deep, fully padded shell combines impact protection with ventilation.
Angel Ride Infant Car Seat Can be purchased directly from Angel Guard, as well as gadgets like portable DVD for your car.